Romancing a Home: Staging to Be Engaging
Will it be love at first sight? "Staging" your home refers to the act of improving your home's appearance and enhancing its ambiance in an immediately positive way in order to appeal to the widest segment of potential buyers.
There is a big difference between selling and dwelling . In readying your house consider:
- How much should you spend to prepare your house?
- Exterior and kerb appeal
- Interior appeal
In preparing your home for the market, spend as little money as possible. Buyers will be impressed by a brand new roof, but they aren't likely to give you enough extra money to pay for it. Our Agents are familiar with buyers' expectations. Don't hesitate to ask for advice.
When preparing your home your first concern is the home's exterior. If the outside, or "kerb appeal" looks good, people will more than likely want to see what's on the inside.
Top tips to enhance your home's exterior and kerb appeal:
- A well-kept garden, pathway and fence are immediately appealing. Keep the grass cut and add flowers ,hanging flower baskets are simple effective solution.
- Keep the windows and gutters clean.
- Paint the front door. Be sure your front door area has a "Welcome" feeling.
- Create parking. Try to keep driveways free of bins to highlight the space.
- Tidy and show off your rear garden. People crave outside space as it adds to their quality of life. If you have a patio area, a table and chairs should work wonders.
You want your home to look as spacious, bright and clean as possible. Also the home should look neutral without a lot of your personal and sentimental objects - so buyers or tenants can begin to imagine living there.
Top tips to enhance your home's interior appeal:
- Clean, Clean, Clean. Give every room in the house a thorough cleaning. Remove stains in carpets, clean walls and doors of smudges and scuff marks. Pay special attention to the kitchen and bathrooms: they should look as modern, bright and fresh as possible. It is essential for them to be clean and odour free.
- Finish off unfinished jobs. Its very easy for us to live with DIY disasters but it is guaranteed to turn buyers off. Repair damage to plaster, repair dripping taps and shower heads. Check that plumbing, heating and alarm systems are working.
- Knobs and Knockers. If you are replacing dodgy door handles or light switches make sure they coordinate. The devil is in the detail.
- The Kitchen is still the Heart of the home. If your fitted kitchen units look tired, simply replace or paint and varnish the doors. Again another economical trick is replace the doorknobs, handles and taps with something more modern.
- Paint walls - a pale, plain neutral shade maximises the feeling of light and space. Although there's a wide range of paint colours available, magnolia is still the top-selling colour.
- De-personalise your rooms by removing any personal items which may distract potential buyers. Buyers should be looking at the property, not the owner's personal possessions.
- De- Clutter. Removing clutter makes it easier for buyers to imagine their own belongings in a room. If people can move freely throughout a house it creates a positive spacious and airy feeling. Remove the less frequently used, and even daily-used items. Invest in a few plastic boxes and store them in the attic or garden shed.
- Smarten up the Master bedroom. Create a sanctuary of peace and calm. Invest in crisp white lined and soft bedside lamps.
- Organise rooms - Create a dedicated dining area in your kitchen. A property will be more appealing if each room has a specific purpose and this allows buyers to see the full potential of the property.
- Restoring fireplaces and period features, don't hide wooden floors under carpets. Period features like fireplaces scream quality. If you have them flaunt them.
- Avoid strong food odours - The smell of freshly-baked bread or fresh coffee is said to provide a welcoming feel to a home.
- Glamorise. Present your home full of the latest gadgets and accessories, A plasma TV, wall art, sleek cushions and modern curtains all add to create an inspirational home. Become the king of Bling.
"A house that "sparkles" on the surface will sell faster than its shabby neighbour."
Call us now for a FREE MARKET APPRAISEL AND ADVICE before incurring any costs.